Men's First Team
National League North Fri 29 March The Citadel
Farsley Celtic

Farsley Celtic earned a potentially crucial point against Southport at The Citadel on Good Friday as the two sides played out a goalless draw.

With the Celts situated just 2 points from the drop, the pressure is mounting for the team to break out of a bad stint of form having failing to get a win in 7 games.

The first chance fell early in the sixth minute for Farsley’s Tom Allan, who whipped a decent cross in but was just out of reach for an eagerly waiting Michael Coulson.

Following Allan’s chance, both sides failed to settle and retain possession ensuing in a midfield battle.

The Celts enjoyed the better half of possession, being able to win a corner which was promptly cleared away by Southport’s back line.

Southport first glimmer of a goal came in the 38th minute, with Lloyd finding himself clear on the outside of the box, lashing at his chance by putting it well over the bar.

In the 45th minute, Southport had their best chance of the half. Hamami went down winning a free kick on the edge of the box, he then thumped the ball, narrowly skimming over the crossbar and out for a goal kick.

Entering Halftime 0-0 both sides should hope to have a more eventful second half.

As the second half kicked off, Farsley looked the livelier side, retaining their fair share of possession as they probed Southport’s back line.

After some clever work from Tom Allan down the wing, Farsley won a corner which was yet again headed away by Southport.

In the 80th, Allan gave away a free kick on the edge of Farsley’s box, receiving a second yellow card and consequently a red for his challenge bringing the Celts down to ten men.

Southport seem spurred on by the sending off, winning a corner late on, before being punched away by Zan-Luk Leban.

The visitors skewered a low cross in for Lloyd before quickly getting his shot off, then being securely blocked by Farsley’s back line.

The match ended goalless, a vital point gained for Farsley in the battle to avoid relegation.

It’s a quick turnaround now for Farsley, with Clayton Donaldson’s side back in action on Easter Monday where they will travel to Brewery Field to face Spennymoor Town with a kick off time of 3pm.