Tom Allan’s header which hit the crossbar after just three minutes set the tone for an open first half, where both sides had chances to break the deadlock, albeit with the game reaching half-time goalless.

However words of wisdom from new Farsley boss Clayton Donaldson seemed to inspire the Celt Army, with Ben Atkinson netting the opener early in the second half before Darren Stephenson sewed up the win within stoppage time.

After the early woodwork rattle from Farsley’s towering centre-half Allan, Rushall responded with Farsley’s on-loan goalkeeper Jan-Luk Leban called into action to make an excellent double-save from first Callum Coyle and then Samuel Mantom.

Back at the other end on the 20th minute, Ben Atkinson picked out Marley Blair in space on the edge of the box but the forward saw his shot tipped wide by Jake Weaver in the hosts’ goal.

Farsley’s Slovenian Under-21 shot-stopper Leban pulled out another top save on the 27th minute, when he showed great acrobatics to tip Jake Gosling’s shot over the bar from close range.

The Celt Army came close to opening the scoring on the half-hour mark as Allan was first denied from a corner before Connor Branson couldn’t keep his follow-up shot down and fired over the bar.

The visitors came out clearly roused from the half-time break and it took just nine more second half minutes for the scores to be opened. Mason Wilson floated a ball into the danger area, which was finished by Ben Atkinson on his first competitive appearance since returning to The Citadel.

And the lively Atkinson could’ve twice added a second when he firstly saw his cross-shot palmed over by Weaver, then on 70 minutes he headed over from George Smith’s cross from the left.

Rushall fought their way back into the tie somewhat, although in truth the Farsley goal was never truly tested as the game headed towards its closing stages.

And within stoppage time, the victory was sealed by Stephenson as he looped a header over the clutches of Weaver as it crept over the line to guarantee Farsley all three points on opening day.

Rushall Olympic: Weaver, Green, Hudson, Rowe (Nkalambi-Masidi 66), Brown, Whittall, Coyle (Sanchez-Tonge 66), Moore, Waldron (Carvalho-Landell 78), Mantom, Gosling.
Subs not used: Cameron, Shorrock

Farsley Celtic: Leban, Sherridan, Smith, C Atkinson, Misambo, Allan, Wilson, Branson, Stephenson, B Atkinson (Watson 81), Blair (Robinson 87).

Subs not used: Allen, Silvam, Carroll.

Referee: T Swift