Women's First Team
WRCWFL Cup Quarter-Final Sun 5 March Wortley
Farsley Celtic

Farsley Celtic advanced into the League Cup semi-finals with a dominant 6-1 victory over league rivals Wortley.

What started out as a scrappy first half soon swung in Farsley’s favour, as the Division Three table-toppers began to dictate the game, and get on top of their hosts.

Neither side took control of the game in the early stages, but Wortley found an opening, building up a well-worked passing move into the Celts’ box which resulted in a shot skewed wide of the left upright.

However, 10 minutes in, the Celts drew first blood with a dazzling solo run from Shirley Murphy. With a burst of pace, Murphy cut into the box and was one-on-one with the Wortley keeper, maintaining her cool to slot home.

The Celts had found their rhythm, and just a few minutes later they doubled their lead. A Wortley defender cleared the ball into the path of Demi Pringle, who collected the ball in the corner of the box before striking into the bottom right corner.

Pringle would come close to her second, attempting an audacious 30-yard strike which whistled inches wide of the post.

The Celts would almost extend their lead again from a corner this was floated in by Ebony Hartnett, which Wortley failed to deal with, resulting in a scramble in the mouth of the goal, before being cleared off the line.

Wortley would then halve the deficit against the run of play from a set piece near the corner flag, Leigh Bamford only able to punch the ball into the path of a Wortley attacker who made no mistake.

That goal would give the hosts a real boost and they went in search of a leveller, but would soon suffer a sucker punch from Jamie Sykes’ side.

Farsley launched a lighting fast counter-attack, and the ball fell to Hartnett 30 yards out, and she struck the ball with venom into the top corner, leaving Wortley’s keeper with no chance.

After the break the visiting Celts looked to press home their advantage, Pringle arrowing a strike onto the top corner, before within five minutes Murphy’s cross made its way to Pringle in the box, who wrapped up her hat-trick.

With full-time beckoning, the ball fell to the feet of Keegan Lambert in the box, and she buried it past the keeper putting the final nail in the coffin for Wortley, sending Farsley through to the semi-finals.