Men's First Team
National League North Tue 12 March The Citadel
Farsley Celtic
  • Woods (42', 45')

Farsley Celtic slipped to a disappointing 2-0 loss to Warrington Town in midweek at The Citadel.

A quickfire brace from Warrington winger Connor Woods on the stroke of halftime was enough to seal the points for the Cheshire outfit as the Celts failed to create anything of note.

Ben Atkinson looks for the pass. Photo: John McEvoy

The away side started the brighter of the two teams and they could have been ahead within the first minute after the on-rushing Zan-Luk Leban cleared straight to Woods who was only denied by a goal-line clearance from Rudy Misambo.

Warrington continued to apply the pressure, going close from a corner when a chaotic goalmouth scramble ensued with Farsley having to intervene on the goal-line multiple times, as well as Woods again whose left footed volley trickled past the left post on the 15-minute mark.

The Celts began to grow slightly into the game with Michael Coulson and Ryan Watson seeing half chances missed, before Leban was called into action to superbly deny Amos from close range.

David Adewoju driving at Warrington. Photo: John McEvoy

The visitors then eventually took the lead three minutes before the interval when a fantastic Leban double save was rebounded to Woods who stuck the ball in the bottom right corner to make it 1-0.

Woods was then on hand again just moments later to double Warrington’s lead when his powerful low strike beat Leban to find the bottom left corner from a tight angle, giving Farsley a massive mountain to climb.

The second half was a quiet affair with neither side creating anything of note within the first 25 minutes, until Tom Allan saw his header from a corner sail over the bar, before Isaac Buckley-Ricketts rattled the crossbar with a well-hit strike from range.

Michael Coulson hits the deck. Photo: John McEvoy

The Yellows were then able to see the rest of the match out to end a miserable evening for Clayton Donaldson and his men, making it five wins without a win for Farsley.

The result means the Celts fall to 17th in the National League North, with the next fixture coming against Boston United at Jakemans Community Stadium on Saturday with a kick-off time of 3pm.