Men's First Team
National League North Sat 17 February The Citadel
Farsley Celtic
  • Leverett (3')
  • Tollitt (53')
  • Whitehouse (72')

Farsley Celtic were defeated 2-1 after two second half goals from Chester saw them come from behind to leave West Yorkshire with all three points.

The Celts couldn’t have got off to a better start. In the second minute Michael Coulson fizzed a ball into the box where Sam Leverett pounced to blast the ball into an empty net and give the home aside a dream start.

Leverett was once again involved in the action five minutes after his goal, when he whipped in a delightful free-kick, however no Farsley player managed to get on the end of the cross.

As time progressed, the away side started to come into the game. Ben Tollitt came close to an equaliser for the away side as he cut inside from the left only to see his effort go just over the bar.

Chester were once again causing danger for Farsley’s defence. As the ball was bouncing in and around the box, Burke was the sharpest to react eight yards out from goal only for Leban to come to the rescue with a superb save.

It was a cagey start to the second half. In the 53rd minute Tollitt would level the scoring, a screamer of a free-kick 27 yards out from goal flew past Leban – there was certainly nothing he could do about the goal.

Ben Atkinson nearly found a second for Farsley six minutes later, excellent work by Lewis Turner on the right-hand side saw his cross fall to Ben Atkinson on the edge of the box, only for him to lose his footing at the wrong moment.

Things then took a massive turn in the match. Chester were awarded a contentious penalty for hand ball and Tom Allan received a red card, with the referee deciding he denied a goal scoring opportunity. Elliot Whitehouse then converted the penalty and give the visitors the lead.

In tough conditions and down to ten men, Clayton Donaldson’s men carried on in search of an equaliser, however it just wasn’to be as the away side stood strong in the last ten minutes to protect their lead.

Up next for the Celts is Blyth Spartans at home on Tuesday, where they will be hoping to bounce back and get all three points.