Men's First Team
National League North Tue 20 February The Citadel
Farsley Celtic
  • Turner (90+3')
Blyth Spartans

Lewis Turner scored a dramatic 92nd-minute winner to secure all three points for Farsley Celtic.

Turner, making only his second start of the season following a serious injury, capped his 150th club appearance by rifling home inside the penalty area as the game looked to be drifting into a goalless draw.

The result pushes The Celts into 14th place in the National League North table.

Lewis Turner celebrates his 92nd-minute winner against Blyth. Photo: John McEvoy

In a game of few chances, both teams rattled the woodwork in the first half.  Blyth’s Cook found space on the edge of Farsley’s penalty area on 15 minutes, and his powerful strike smashed against the crossbar with Farsley keeper Leban beaten.

Shortly afterwards Clayton Donaldson hit the post for the Celts with a low strike to the left of the Blyth penalty area. Sam Leverett then went close, but his header was somehow clawed off the line by the Blyth keeper.

Leban twice came to the home side’s rescue, doing well to tip Evans’ shot around the post on 36 minutes. Shortly afterwards he pulled off a wonderful save to deny Deverdics powerful drive from distance – Evans was on hand to tap in the rebound, however he was flagged offside.

Celebrations at The Citadel as Lewis Turner hits an injury time winner. Photo: John McEvoy

Donaldson then appeared to have a good shout for a penalty waved away by the referee, much to the anger of the home fans.

The second half was a tight affair. A Blyth header bounced off the crossbar from close range with 20 minutes to go and was cleared by the Farsley defence.

The home side enjoyed plenty of possession and were knocking the ball about well, without creating much in the way of clear-cut chances. When Leverett hit the ball over after being picked out well by Turner in the 89th minute it looked like the game was doomed to end in frustration.

Clayton Donaldson battles for the ball. Photo: John McEvoy

But in the second of four added minutes, Donaldson won the ball on the Farsley right, Michael Coulson kept it alive, with the ball coming in to Lewis Turner who finished emphatically and give the Celts all three points, much to the delight of the delirious Celt Army!

On Saturday Farsley travel to fourth-bottom King’s Lynn in another important National League North game, before hosting fifth-bottom Rushall Olympic in a rearranged fixture at The Citadel next Tuesday.