Men's First Team
Friendly Sat 22 July The Citadel
Farsley Celtic
Huddersfield Town

Farsley Celtic were back in pre-season action today, losing narrowly to Huddersfield Town 1-2 after a
closely contested game where neither side really separated themselves from the other, with a lack
of real clear-cut chances for both sides.

The fixture allowed this new look Farsley side to continue to gel together under new manager
Clayton Donaldson and work on their new possession-based style.

Particularly in the first half, some promising patterns of play began to emerge from Donaldson’s

The Celts took the lead after ten minutes when Ben Atkinson pressed the Huddersfield defence in
their own third.

After dispossessing the defender, he found youngster Joao Silva who slid a perfectly weighted pass
into the path of the overlapping Marley Blair whose curled strike from the right-hand side of the box
left Chapman helpless in the Huddersfield goal as the shot nestled into the top left-hand corner.

Tom Allan kept the score at 1-0 after a spectacular recovering tackle prevented Huddersfield’s number
nine, Ondo, from getting his shot away from inside the box.

Huddersfield drew level with just over five minutes left of the first half, a bursting run down the left-
wing from Huddersfield winger Deru was capped off with him firing his strike past Jack Flint at the
near post and into the roof of the net.

The visitors took the lead just after the hour mark when substitute goalkeeper Harry Allen was closed
down well and his clearance was blocked by the attacker before the ball flew into the back of his own goal.

Allen made up for it however soon after as he got down well to save a header and keep his side in
the game.

Farsley began to build some momentum in the last five minutes or so with second-half substitute Jordan
Carroll coming closest. His volley was blocked by the defender, although there were some shouts for
a penalty, the referee had judged the defender’s arm to be by his side.

Overall, a promising performance from Farsley, particularly in the first half where they were able to
be tidy in possession in spells. The Celts pre-season continues on Tuesday night when they welcome
York City to The Citadel.