Men's First Team
National League North Sat 29 April The Brewery Field
Spennymoor Town
Farsley Celtic

Entering the final fixture of the season, the Celts sat just 3 points away from the relegation zone with a draw away from home being able to secure safety for Vanarama non-league North football next season.

It was a scrappy start at the Brewery Field, with no side being able to settle onto the ball. The first threat on goal came from the home side, Spennymoor’s Glen Taylor found himself on the end of a drilled cross resulting in a superb double save from Celts keeper Max Dearnley.

Moments after, Spennymoor found the opener through Rob Ramshaw, he collected the ball in the middle of the pitch before threading it to a widely available Glen Taylor, who was able to skip into the box and put it past Celts keeper at the second time of asking. 

The home side ramped up the pressure with multiple crosses from Paul Blackett which were calmly collected by Max Dearley. 

This soon turned into a one-sided affair with the home side having majority of possession. However, they were unable to add to their tally. Moments after Glen Taylor found space in the box, placing a powerful header firmly into the Celts keepers’ gloves. 

The Celts tried to fight back into the game through Theo Williams, with a burst of pace down the wing he delivered a cross which drifted too far across the box which was scooped up by Spennymoor keeper Harry Flatters.

Farsley entered the break behind 1-0, dropping the celts in the relegation zone. 

Russ Willcox’s side came out fighting after the break, straight from kick off a bobbling through ball to Theo Williams forced Harry Flatters into no man’s land which he sent back up the pitch.

Spennymoor looked to add to their lead with Rob Ramshaw, he collected the ball on the edge of the box before smashing it into the keepers’ right-hand side, the celts keeper got the better of Ramshaw making another superb save. 

Farsley’s Frank Mulhern tried to make an impact, after darting down the wing, Mulhern floated a nicely weighted cross into the box which resulted in an audacious overhead kick from Danny Devine which bobbled dangerously across the box.

 The Celts Max Dearley refused to be beaten, repelling a Mark Anderson finessed shot with an acrobatic save tipping it over the bar. A few moments later Max Dearley was called into action once more keeping his side in the game, getting down low to his left-hand side to divert another Mark Anderson shot. 

Third time was the charm for Mark Anderson after striking the ball from just outside the box smashing it into the keeper’s right-hand side.

The Celts halved the deficit with a tidy Mulhern through ball to Theo Williams. Williams skipped down the outside, cutting into the box before beating Harry Flatters at his near post.

As the referee blew the whistle for full time, and with the news that Kidderminster beat Kettering 3-0, this guaranteed Farsley’s safety from relegation.