Men's First Team
National League North Tue 4 April The Citadel
Farsley Celtic
  • Williams (11')
  • Mulhern (58')
Brackley Town
  • Murombedzi (45+1')

Farsley Celtic secured another vital three points in the quest for survival with a terrific 2-1 victory over Brackley Town.

It was the perfect response from the Celts after Saturday’s defeat to Kidderminster, with goals from Theo Williams and Frank Mulhern enough for the win against promotion-chasing Brackley.

Russ Wilcox’s side had been guilty of a slow start in recent times, conceding in the first five minutes against Peterborough and Kidderminster.

However, there was no danger of that on Tuesday. Inside 60 seconds Kian Scales had rattled the crossbar with a superb strike from long-range, whilst Dave Syers and Tom Allan were both thwarted by fine Danny Lewis saves early on.

The breakthrough would come for Farsley, as Theo Williams scored his fourth goal in Farsley colours. Dave Syers slid in Kian Scales down the left, who played a superb ball across goal for Williams to roll home from close range.

After falling behind, the Saints eventually began to grab a foothold in the game, with much of what they did well coming through Callum Stead.

Stead fired a dangerous ball across goal that was just too strong for Sam Smart, before he had a golden opportunity from 10 yards out, but skewed his strike wide.

Theo Williams then came close to doubling his side’s lead, rolling his man on the edge of the box before firing a strike just wide.

But before the break, the visitors drew level. A long throw was cleared only as far as Shepherd Murombedzi 20 yards from goal, and he drove a low strike through a host of bodies and past Max Dearnley.

Despite suffering that blow on the stroke of half-time, the Celts responded well after the break and would retake the lead.

Frank Mulhern’s free-kick from 30-yards out nestled in the bottom corner, with a hand from Lewis not enough to deny the frontman’s superb strike.

Brackley almost drew level immediately as Cosmos Matwasa fired goalward from the edge of the box, but Max Dearnley flew across his goal to push wide a strike that seemed destined for the top corner.

There would be nervy moments for the Celts in the closing moments as Levi Amanatchi threatened, with Farsley throwing bodies in the way to block the substitute’s strike from inside 10 yards.

But they would see out the closing moments, which would come against a 10-man Brackley as Murombedzi received a second caution, to seal an important triumph.

Farsley Celtic: Dearnley, Scales, Butroid, Devine, Butler, Turner, Allan, Atkinson, Syers © (Clayton 71), Mulhern (Ubaezuonu 85), Williams (Muggleton 79). Subs not used: Jessop, Morgan (GK).

Brackley Town: Lewis, Bates (Amantchi 59), Calder, Murombedzi, Cullinane-Liburd, Preston, Woods ©, Stead, Rooney (Armson 70), Matwasa, Smart (Carline 46). Subs not used: Richards, Robinson.

Attendance: 295