Men's First Team
National League North Sat 15 April Deva Stadium
Farsley Celtic

Farsley Celtic picked up a vital point in their bid to avoid relegation from the National League North after a brace from Adam Clayton contributed to a thrilling 2-2 draw at Chester. 

The Celts got off to a perfect start after Lewis Butroid’s out-swinging corner found the head of Adam Clayton who planted a header into the bottom right corner to put Farsley in the driving seat. 

Lightning then struck twice as another corner swung in by Butroid met the head of Clayton who powered another header through Harry Tyrer to claim a brace inside 25 minutes. 

Farsley threatened to go even further ahead as the half continued, with Tom Allan and Frank Mulhern going close to making it three with both players seeing their efforts just wide of the mark. 

Proceedings deteriorated for the hosts on the half hour mark when Kevin Roberts was sent off for a dangerous, high challenge on Lewis Turner which gave the Seals an even bigger disadvantage. 

Moments later however and Chester found themselves back in the game after Anthony Dudley sent Adam Thomas through on goal who finished past Dearnley to half the deficit. 

The Seals started the second half brightly and equalised in the first four minutes when Declan Weeks received the ball in the box before smashing it into the roof of the net to make it two apiece. 

Max Dearnley had to be alert throughout the match and made his biggest save of the game on the hour mark when Kelly Nmai smashed a shot towards the near post which required a strong hand from the Farsley stopper. 

After sustaining heavy pressure in the aftermath of the goal, the Celts eased their way back in again and almost re-took the lead after Theo Williams met Mulhern’s cross to force an important save from Tyrer. 

The match then turned into a thrilling, end-to-end contest with both sides going for the three points and few came closer to nodding their team in front than Charlie Craton who found himself through on goal in the 90th minute before scuffing his shot wide. 

That would prove to be the last major event of the match as the referee blew the final whistle after six added minutes, earning the Celts a crucial point away to one of the best sides in the league. 

The Celts are next back at the Citadel on Tuesday night for a massive clash with Blyth Spartans which could prove pivotal in the battle to stay up. 

Chester: Tyrer, Morgan (Caton 46), Brown, Weeks, Kenyon, Dudley (Earl 55), Thomas (Heywood 59), Roberts, Nmai, Whitehouse, Edwards. 

Farsley Celtic: Dearnley, Scales, Butroid, Turner, Butler, Clayton, Allan, Ubaezuonu, Jessop (Syers 73), Mulhern, Williams (Muggleton 90).