Men's First Team
National League North Tue 7 March The Walks
King's Lynn
  • Hughes (52')
Farsley Celtic
  • Mulhern (23')
  • Williams (90+4')

Farsley Celtic earned a dramatic 2-1 win at title-chasers King’s Lynn Town on Tuesday evening, with Theo Williams striking deep into added time to stun the Walks.

Tommy Hughes had earlier cancelled out Frank Mulhern’s opener with his effort early in the second half, before Williams struck the decisive blow on his first start for the Celts.

It was a resilient, fighting display from Farsley, who had to withstand the full force of the full-time Linnets in the second half, but withstand it they did before the late drama.

In the early stages, it was Farsley who seemed to be winning the battle in a scrappy midfield, and the first opening would fall their way inside five minutes.

Theo Williams laid the ball off to Carlton Ubaezuonu on the right edge of the box, and his curling effort would leave the Linnets ‘keeper Sam Blair rooted to the spot, only to cannon against the upright.

Whilst the hosts began to grasp a foothold in the game they failed to trouble Max Dearnley, and the opener would fall the Celts’ way midway through the opening period.

Williams was involved again as he flicked the ball onto Kian Scales, and he helped the ball through to Frank Mulhern who burst into the box before picking out the bottom corner.

That would seem to wake King’s Lynn up and they would begin to test the Farsley backline, Josh Barrett forcing a fine save from Max Dearnley, and Gold Omotayo glancing wide after getting free in the box at a Barrett corner.

Theo Widdrington was introduced at the break by the Linnets as they looked to force the action, and they would find the equaliser early on in the second period.

Gold Omotayo knocked the ball down for Tommy Hughes who drilled home his first-time effort on the half-volley from 15 yards out.

Perhaps the game’s key moment arrived on the hour mark when the hosts thought they had taken the lead; Tyler Denton’s strike from outside the box was diverted past Dearnley by Jordan Ponticelli, who had been on the pitch a matter of seconds, with Lynn wheeling away in celebration whilst Farsley appealed for offside.

After a brief discussion between the referee and his assistant, the Celts’ protestations were rewarded, with the officials determining that Ponticelli was in an offside position.

That wouldn’t deter the title-chasers who ploughed on in search of a winner, and Max Dearnley had to be alert to deny Ponticelli and then Theo Widdrington with smart saves.

But it would be Farsley who found the last-gasp winner, Williams charging 50-yards up the pitch and drilling a low strike past Blair, to spark jubilant celebrations.

King’s Lynn Town: Blair, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Crowther, Coulson, Callan-McFadden (Widdrington 46), Denton (Jones 76), Hughes, Clunan, Barrett, Stephens (Ponticelli 60), Omotayo. Subs not used: Cosgrave, Dixon-Hodge.

Farsley Celtic: Dearnley, Turner, Butroid, Johnson, Butler ©, Clayton, Williams, Devine, Ubaezuonu, Mulhern, Scales. Subs not used: Syers, Parkin, Jessop, Atkinson, Wallace.

Attendance: 721