Men's First Team
National League North Sat 25 March The Citadel
Farsley Celtic
  • Mulhern (90+2')
Peterborough Sports
  • Gash (4')

Farsley Celtic secured what could prove to be a vital point at the death as they drew 1-1 with Peterborough Sports at the Citadel.

Michael Gash had given the visitors an early lead from the spot, but the Celts’ pressure eventually told in the second minute of added time when Frank Mulhern bent a stunning strike into the bottom corner.

It was certainly not the start that Farsley wanted at all when Peterborough’s Jordan Nicholson went down under a challenge from Andy Butler, and the referee pointed to the penalty spot just three minutes in.

Michael Gash stepped up and duly converted by smashing the ball down the middle to put Farsley behind.

It took a quarter of an hour or so for the Celts to get a foothold in the game, but they then felt that they should have had a penalty of their own as the ball struck the arm of Isaiah Bazeley in the penalty area, but their appeals were waved away.

Farsley’s only clear chance of the half came just before the interval as Frank Mulhern spotted the darting run of Theo Williams into the penalty area. He played a brilliant early cross to the young forward, who just couldn’t quite direct his header on target.

Peterborough Sports came out in the second half looking to frustrate their hosts in their quest for a leveller, and it became a bitty, stop-start contest.

However, Russ Wilcox threw caution to the wind as he looked to get his side back in the game, changing shape and throwing bodies forward.

Frank Mulhern had two low, driven strikes that goalkeeper Peter Cook was equal to, making sharp saves low down, before Harry Jessop had an opening after a goalmouth scramble, but could only fire wide.

By the time added time arrived, Frank Mulhern, Theo Williams, Harry Jessop, Dave Syers and Tom Allan had all been pushed high up the pitch, and they would all be involved in some way as the equaliser arrived.

Jessop recycled possession by nodding it back towards the box, where Williams and Syers both did enough to keep the ball alive.

Tom Allan was then able to nip in ahead of a Peterborough defender and divert the ball towards the right edge of the box, where Mulhern fired a stunning, first-time, swerving effort with the outside of his boot into the bottom corner.

Both defences would suffer late scares deeper into added time without a real opening being fashioned, with Mulhern’s late show ensuring a sharing of the spoils.

Farsley Celtic: Dearnley, Scales, Butroid, Devine (Jessop 82), Butler, Clayton (Turner 59), Allan, Atkinson, Ubaezuonu (Syers 59), Mulhern, Williams. Subs not used: Parkin, Morgan (GK).

Attendance: 477