Men's First Team
National League North Sat 18 February The Citadel
Farsley Celtic

Farsley Celtic earned an important point at home against playoff-chasing Chorley, making it five games unbeaten, and seven without defeat at home.

Farsley had to battle for the whole ninety minutes against a tough opponent, with both sides adjusting their play to match the conditions, but failing to take their chances and find a winner.

It was a tough first half for Farsley who were forced to battle against the elements, and therefore were likely to be the happier of the two sides going into the break at 0-0.

The best chances of the opening 45 minutes would fall the visitors’ way, the first coming only six minutes in. Joe Nolan worked himself some space just inside Farsley’s 18-yard box, but dragged it just past Max Dearnley’s right-hand post.

The second big chance of the half fell to Chorley’s number nine Jack Sampson, who proved a handful for the Farsley defence, but he could only fire over with his left foot on this occasion.

The remainder of the first half was scrappy, as Harry Jessop had very little to work with up front for the Celts.

Farsley’s best and only chance of the half came from an in-swinging Lewis Butroid corner, Adam Clayton rising highest but failing to direct his header goalwards.

Farsley came out much brighter in the second half, and Matt Urwin was the first goalkeeper called into action, saving low down from Carlton Ubaezuonu’s strike.

On the hour mark Chorley had arguably their biggest opportunity to break the deadlock, but Jack Sampson could not keep his header down from eight yards out.

The game continued to be quite scrappy in the middle of the park, as both teams searched to create a chance that would give them the breakthrough. One nearly arrived for Farsley courtesy of captain Andy Butler whose header was blocked on the line, before Urwin dived on the loose ball.

As the match came to a close it was Farsley pushing for the winner.

Substitute Nat Wallace fashioned an opening late on as he cut the ball onto his left foot inside the penalty area, but his shot was straight at Urwin who held on gratefully.

Overall, it was a well-earned point for the Celts, who travel to Kettering Town on Tuesday night for a big game at the bottom of the National League North.