Men's First Team
National League North Sat 25 February Spencer Stadium
Banbury United
  • Stevens (44', 90+3')
Farsley Celtic
  • Ubaezuonu (45+1')
  • Mulhern (51')

Farsley Celtic extended their unbeaten run to seven games as they shared the points away at Banbury United, drawing 2-2.

The Celts were moments away from bringing all three points back to Farsley, but were pegged back at the death as Jack Stevens struck a last-ditch leveller.

Earlier, Farsley had fought back form a goal down to lead through Carlton Ubaezuonu and Frank Mulhern, with the latter adding another spectacular goal to his collection.

Farsley started promisingly in the opening five minutes and Chris Atkinson was able to slide in Kian Scales who had made a darting run inside from the right wing, but Jack Harding stood strong in the Puritan’s goal to keep the game level.

Banbury managed to create some chances of their own and came close within the first 15 minutes. Henry Landers managed to find half a yard of space to get his shot off from a tight angle inside the Farsley box and it rattled the outside of the upright.

Harding would be called into action once again just before the half-hour mark when he tipped over Bobby Johnson’s attempt from the edge of the box.

The hosts then managed to break the deadlock on the verge of halftime. Banbury broke quickly down the left-hand side and Ben Acquaye managed to get to the by-line, with his cut-back met by Jack Stevens who swept home from close range.

Farsley were not discouraged, however, as they replied instantly in stoppage time to ensure they went into the break level. Carlton Ubaezuonu cooly picked out the bottom corner after the ball fell to him following a long throw-in from Tom Allan.

The Celts then completed the turnaround within six minutes of the restart through a moment of Frank Mulhern magic.

The Farsley attacker controlled a bouncing ball 30 yards from goal, before unleashing a dipping half-volley that nestled into the top corner, leaving Harding with no chance.

After taking the lead, Farsley were able to restrict their hosts to limited chances, albeit not really threatening the Banbury goal much either.

This changed in the 90th minute when Stevens’ ball in was met by substitute Slavi Spasov, but he blazed his attempt over the bar.

However, as the game headed deep into added time, the hosts would strike. Jack Stevens rose highest at the back post to thunder his header past Max Dearnley to claw the Puritans level.

There was still time for Banbury to be reduced to 10 men, as Henry Landers was dismissed after a lunging tackle on Bobby Johnson.

And in the final moment, Farsley thought they had stolen all three points as Harry Jessop directed the initial scuffed attempt by Scales into the back of the net, but he was flagged offside and both teams had to settle for a point.

Farsley Celtic: Dearnley, Scales, Butroid, Johnson, Butler, Allan, Clayton, Atkinson, Ubaezuonu (Devine 85), Mulhern (Jessop 75), Parkin (Turner 77). Subs not used: Wallace, Morgan (GK).

Attendance: 678