Men's First Team
West Riding County Cup Quarter-Final Tue 31 January The Citadel
Albion Sports
  • Gorji (20')
  • Basi (50')
Farsley Celtic

Albion Sports knocked 10-man Farsley Celtic out of the West Riding County Cup, with a comfortable 2-0 victory at the Citadel.

What started out as a scrappy game soon gave way to one dominated by the hosts against a Farsley side featuring a number of Academy players, and Hass Gorjj’s classy finish and Aran Basi’s incredible long-range strike saw the NCEL side progress.

Life was made easier for Albion Sports when the Celts were reduced to 10 men on the stroke of half-time following Isaac Assenso’s dismissal, but by that point, they were already good value for their 1-0 lead.

Despite not being on the scoresheet, Thomas Ponter was the creative spark that saw Albion take hold of the game, controlling the midfield as much of what the Lions did well came through him.

The game did start with Farsley more in control of the two, but the hosts always looked a threat.

After a scrappy spell where neither team was able to keep hold of the ball, the first chance of the game came midway through the half and fell to Albion Sports’ Hass Gorji.

A perfectly timed and weighted through ball from Thomas Ponter saw him able to burst away from the centre backs and after taking the ball to the left, he slotted it home with great composure.

Despite the opening goal, the game continued to be a close battle as neither side could stamp their foot on the game, but the Celts suffered a blow on the stroke of half-time.

After a late challenge from Ponter, a scuffle broke out near the halfway line, with Isaac Assenso receiving his marching orders, leaving Farsley with an even bigger mountain to climb to get back into the game.

The second half started at a much quicker pace, and Albion Sports doubled their lead within 10 minutes of the restart.

Captain Aran Basi let fly from 30 yards, and his strike, assisted by the wind, flew past Oliver Ford and into the top corner.

10 minutes later, Basi’s effort was almost topped by Eisa Topping.

His free-kick from the halfway line caught the wind, and with Ford beaten, struck the crossbar, much to Farsley’s relief.

However, Russ Wilcox’s side struggled to find any rhythm and failed to trouble the Albion back-line, exiting the County Cup at the quarter-final stage.