Men's First Team
FA Trophy Round 4 Sat 14 January The Citadel
Farsley Celtic
  • Johnson (4')
  • Assenso (6')
  • Allan (27')
  • Syers (44')
  • Spencer (46', 61')
  • Scales (71')
  • Burgess (59')

Farsley Celtic booked their place in the last 16 of the Isuzu FA Trophy for the first time in the club’s history as they ran out 7-1 winners against Marske United at the Citadel.

Russ Wilcox’s men got back to winning ways after losing their last two, playing free-flowing and confident football whilst they were clinical in front of goal all afternoon.

Just four minutes in, the Celts were in front. Lewis Turner was fouled 30 yards from goal, and as the referee played advantage, Bobby Johnson lashed a stunning strike goalward that thundered in off of the underside of the bar.

Farsley doubled their lead just a minute or so later after a goalmouth scramble from a corner.

Jimmy Spencer’s strike hit the post from close range and Isaac Assenso reacted quickest to poke the ball in at the far post to double the Celts’ lead.

The visitors would look to hit back, and Max Dearnley was forced into a fine double save just after the ten-minute mark to maintain his clean sheet.

Dylan McAvoy broke away down the left-hand side and drilled a low cross into the feet of Adam Boyes who was denied superbly by Dearnley initially before the ‘keeper reacted quickly to save the follow-up from Connor Smith.

Tom Allan then added a third for the Celts after he rose the highest to power his header past Jaan Yaqub following a precise corner from Lewis Butroid.

It was four before half-time, as skipper Dave Syers nodded home at the back post, this time from a Bobby Johnson corner.

Whilst half-time may have brought 15 minutes of reprieve for the Seasiders, 15 minutes is all it was.

Within 60 seconds of the restart, Farsley were 5-0 up. Spencer found himself with space in the box before calmly cutting onto his right foot and curling his shot into the top right corner.

Marske did manage to pull a goal back on the hour mark, Kevin Burgess meeting a low cross drilled in by Connor Smith, sweeping his strike past Max Dearnley.

But the five-goal margin was again restored just a few minutes later when Spencer made no mistake when through on goal as he lifted his attempt past Yaqub to make it a brace for the Celts’ number nine.

Yaqub’s day worsened when he was penalised for bringing down Kian Scales on the edge of the box after a clever diagonal ball from Johnson. It would be a costly mistake, as Scales then proceeded to take the freekick and curled it into the top left corner spectacularly to make it 7-1 to Farsley.

Farsley nearly made it eight after Mulhern glided past three Marske defenders before laying it off to substitute Carlton Ubaezuonu, but his shot was superbly tipped wide by Yaqub.

The Celts will now await the draw on Monday afternoon to see who they will play in the last 16.

Farsley Celtic: Dearnley, Turner, Butroid, Johnson (Atkinson 72), Butler, Assenso, Allan (Clayton 46), Syers (c) (Ubaezuonu 46), Spencer, Mulhern, Scales. Unused subs: Wallace, Parkin.