Men's First Team
National League North Tue 6 December The Citadel
Farsley Celtic
  • Mulhern (15')
  • Ubaezuonu (34')
King's Lynn

Farsley Celtic returned to winning ways on Tuesday evening at the Citadel as they defeated high-flying King’s Lynn Town 2-0.

It was a game of limited clear-cut chances, and it was Farsley who were able to make theirs count as they scored twice in the first half through Frank Mulhern and Carlton Ubaezuonu.

The gap in the table between the sides didn’t deter Farsley from starting on the front foot, Frank Mulhern’s freekick bouncing just in front of the visitors’ shot-stopper Paul Jones who was forced into making an early save.

Mulhern would be the man to break the deadlock inside 15 minutes, latching on to Jimmy Spencer’s through ball and calmly lobbing the onrushing Jones to hand the Celts the advantage.

It would be 2-0 just after the half-hour mark as Carlton Ubaezuonu made no mistake inside the box. Spencer found Mulhern on the edge of the box, with the ball finding its way through to Ubaezuonu via a Linnets defender, and he fired his shot into the bottom left corner.

As the half drew to a close the visitors grew into the game, and Max Dearnley ensured the Celts maintained their two-goal cushion at the break, making two good saves.

Firstly, he denied Christian Oxlade-Chamberlain’s near post attempt, before tipping Joshua Barrett’s effort around the post a few minutes later.

After the break, Farsley did well to stifle the King’s Lynn, limiting them to largely speculative efforts.

The visitors would threaten just before the hour mark, as Cameron Hargreaves’s cross found the boot of Gold Omatoyo, but his attempt was blocked superbly by Andy Butler.

King’s Lynn’s next chance fell to Joshua Coulson after a good flick-on from Ken Charles, but the defender scuffed his strike and the ball trickled through to Dearnley.

Ultimately, the Celts were able to see out the game relatively comfortably, securing a vital three points, and their third home win in their last four outings.

Farsley Celtic: Dearnley, Turner, Butroid, Johnson, Butler (c), Teale, Allan, Ubaezuonu, Spencer, Mulhern, Parkin (Wallace 90+2). Unused subs: Assenso, Osadebe, Mason (GK).

King’s Lynn Town: P. Jones, Oxlade-Chamberlain (Charles 73), Denton, Crowther, Coulson, Clunan (c), Omotayo, Barrett, Hargreaves, A. Jones, Scott. Unused subs: Callan-McFadden, Walker, Fleming, Blair (GK).

Attendance: 237