Men's First Team
FA Trophy Round 2 Sat 19 November Horsfall Stadium
Bradford PA
  • Lancaster (89')
Farsley Celtic
  • Johnson (45')
  • Scales (61')

The Celts got their FA trophy adventure underway on the road at the Horsfall Stadium, beating local rivals Bradford (Park Avenue) 2-1.

Farsley were forced to sit in at times, Max Dearnley making a number of important saves, but were always a threat on the break and good value for the victory.

Another spectacular strike from Bobby Johnson broke the deadlock in a first half of limited chances for both teams, before Kian Scales’ finish booked Farsley’s place in the FA Trophy third round.

It was the hosts who sought to dictate the game in the opening 20 minutes, controlling possession, but neither side could carve out any real chances.

However, it would be Avenue who threatened first. Jacob Blyth’s half-volley forced an acrobatic save from Max Dearnley to keep the game level, before Dearnley had to be at his best again minutes later.

Former Farsley man Will Longbottom played a perfectly weighted pass through to Brad Dockerty whose low strike was denied by the legs of Dearnley, before Richman fired over the rebound for Bradford, who were in the ascendency.

But Farsley would respond well, Lewis Butroid doing well down the left and delivering a dangerous cross that eventually fell to Kian Scales at the back post, but he couldn’t keep his shot down.

Farsley’s tails were up, and they would find the breakthrough on the brink of halftime.

Bobby Johnson’s inch-perfect free-kick nestled into the top left corner leaving George Sykes-Kenworthy in the hosts’ goal with no chance.

Farsley would continue to threaten after the interval, Kian Scales cutting in from the right-hand side onto his left foot, forcing a smart save from Sykes-Kenworthy.

Just moments later, Scales would make no mistake as he doubled Farsley’s lead. Sykes-Kenworthy lost out to Carlton Ubaezuonu in the air from Thabang Dube’s delivery, Scales collecting the loose ball and keeping his composure to drill home.

Bradford would push to get back in the game with Jamie Spencer and Blyth both going close, whilst the Celts could have put the game to bed on the break, Dube squandering a good opportunity when he could only find the side netting.

Mark Bower’s side would give themselves a lifeline with two minutes remaining, Dearnley unable to claim a delivery from the left, and Will Lancaster was there to make him pay and give the hosts hope for a late comeback.

However, it wasn’t to be for Bradford as Farsley took the bragging rights in the first West Yorkshire derby of the season.

Bradford (Park Avenue): Sykes-Kenworthy, Odunston, Staunton, Spencer (Hopper 75), Lancaster, Fielding, Longbottom, Richman, Blyth, Dockerty (Church 79), Angell (Preston 56). Unused subs: Lund, Havern.

Farsley Celtic: Dearnley, Turner, Butroid, Johnson, Butler, Allan, Scales, Atkinson (c), Osadebe (Dube 22), Ubaezuonu, Parkin. Unused subs: Assenso, Clayton, Mason (GK).