Men's First Team
FA Cup 2nd Round Qualifying Tue 20 September The Citadel
Farsley Celtic
  • Haughton (48', 65')
  • Morrison (75')

The Celts’ FA Cup hopes were ended after a 3-0 loss to AFC Fylde.

After a 1-1 draw at Mill Farm, the Citadel was the host for the tie’s replay, which would see the winner progress to the third qualifying round of the FA Cup.

The Celts were on the back foot straight away, with the Lancashire club taking the game to the hosts. Most of the danger came from the visitors’ left-hand side, but Farsley stood firm to restrict the Coasters to nothing more than half chances.

Farsley’s best chance of the half came from Frank Mulhern, with a ‘Ronaldo-esque’ free-kick. Despite the excellent technique, Chris Neak made a comfortable save.

Just before the halftime whistle, Farsley had strong shouts for a penalty as Tom Allan went over in the box, only for those appeals to be waved away by the referee.

As the second half began, AFC Fylde came out with more energy and urgency than they had in the first, and would soon be rewarded; Just four minutes in Nick Haughton exquisitely lobbed Owen Mason from the edge of the box to put AFC Fylde 1-0 up.

There was no let-up for the Celts as Fylde kept the pressure on, and they would soon have an opportunity to double their lead from the spot, with Adam Clayton adjudged to have felled Siya Ligendza.

Haughton stepped up and made it a brace, leaving the Celts with a large hill to climb.

Luke Parkin came close for Farsley with a low strike from the edge of the box, but Kyle Morrison then made it 3-0 for Fylde in the 74th minute, which all but wiped out the Celts’ FA Cup dream this season.

However, Farsley continued to threaten the visitors, Mulhern cutting in from the left and forcing Chris Neal to push the ball wide.

The last chance of the game fell for Adam Clayton, who rose highest at a corner, only to head the ball marginally wide.

The full-time whistle blew, which saw AFC Fylde progress to the next round in a well-deserved victory.