Men's First Team
FA Cup 2nd Round Qualifying Sat 17 September Mill Farm
  • Morrison (13')
Farsley Celtic
  • Allan (60')

Farsley Celtic and AFC Fylde will have to do it all again on Tuesday evening, as a 1-1 draw at Mill Farm ensured a replay will be required to determine who will take their place in the Emirates FA Cup third qualifying round.

Both sides will feel they created enough chances to win the game, but neither could find the all-important third goal which would have secured progression to the next round.

Ultimately, it was a tale of two corners, Kyle Morrison turning home in the first half, before Tom Allan replied for the Celts after the break.

Despite the two clubs’ diverging fortunes in the league at this early stage, it was the Celts who looked the most likely early on.

Jimmy Spencer forced a smart save from Chris Neal before, from the resulting corner, Andy Butler found himself free in the box but failed to direct his header on target.

However, it would be the hosts who found the opener; Pierce Bird did superbly well to keep a corner in play at the back post, managing to divert the ball into the path of Morrison who turned home from close range.

The Coasters would then have a terrific opportunity to double their lead, and would have done so but for some heroic defending from Adam Clayton.

Morrison delivered a deep cross for Joe Rowley, whose header was deflected onto the post by Owen Mason, before Clayton reacted superbly to block Rowley’s follow-up on the line.

It would continue to be a game in which both sides had chances, Adam Clayton and Dave Syers both having good efforts blocked after the break, either side of Rowley blazing wide when well-positioned.

But it would be Farsley who struck; A run of four successive corners, which Fylde failed to deal with convincingly, bore fruit for the Celts as Tom Allan superbly powered home Bobby Johnson’s delivery.

Fylde’s chance to snatch the win would arrive in the final minute of normal time, Nick Haughton the architect before Mason produced a stunning save to deny Tom Walker, with Rowley and Connor Barrett also denied in a penalty-box scramble.

There would still be time for Farsley to almost find a winner, Andy Butler making a great run to get on the end of a Chris Atkinson free-kick only to glance his header inches wide.

Farsley Celtic and AFC Fylde will now do it all again on Tuesday evening at the Citadel, kick-off 7.45pm.

AFC Fylde: Neal, Morrison ©, Obi, Bird (Barrett 46), Hatfield, Rowe (Haughton 29), Rowley, Patten (Cranston 73), Walker, Conlan, Whitehead. Unused subs: Weston, Philliskirk, Ligendza, Whitmore.

Farsley Celtic: Mason, Turner, Allan, Johnson, Butler, Clayton, Syers © (Gratton 76), Atkinson, Spencer, Mulhern (Malumo 84), Parkin. Unused subs: Ingham, Morgan (GK).

Attendance: 400.