Men's First Team
Friendly Sat 16 July The Citadel
Farsley Celtic
Tonbridge Angels

Farsley Celtic were beaten 3-0 at the Citadel by Tonbridge Angels on Saturday as Russ Wilcox’s side continued their build-up the 2022/23 season.

In Farsley’s first fixture back at the Citadel since the final day of last season in May, it was the home side who got off to the strongest start with the first chance falling to Jimmy Spencer whose effort from outside the area dribbled narrowly wide of the post.

The encounter was a feisty affair from the get-go and after a strong challenge on Spencer near the Tonbridge penalty area, Tom Allan almost opened the scoring when his header sailed just over the bar.

The away side had chances of their own and almost broke the deadlock after 19 minutes when Tommie Fagg’s audacious strike from range came close to finding the top right corner, instead hitting the side netting.

The second half would turn out to be a different story with Wilcox ringing the changes to give minutes to as many players as possible with several youth players being introduced.

However, it was the Celt Army who then claimed the biggest chance of the match so far when Spencer broke through on goal and with only the keeper to beat, the forward skied his effort over the bar.

Tonbridge’s quality eventually began to shine through and on the 70-minute mark, they took the lead as Ben Hermitage’s corner evaded everyone in the box and found its way into the back of the net.

Eight minutes later and the Kent outfit had doubled their lead after Mason Saunders-Henry latched onto a cross and dispatched a low, driven strike into the bottom right corner to put the result beyond doubt.

The third goal came seven minutes from time when Fagg powered in a header from close range after meeting a cross which came in from the left wing.

The Celt Army are back at the Citadel again next week on Saturday 23 July when Farsley take on fellow West Yorkshire side Halifax Town as the start of the season nears.