There are times in football when you just have to shrug your shoulders and say it wasn’t your day.

Today was one of those days.

In truth we could have played until midnight on a difficult pitch against a well-organised and determined Tadcaster Albion side and we probably wouldn’t have scored.

Gaffer Clayton Donaldson, making his first appearance since his injury against Southport last month, named a strong side against their Northern Counties East League Premier Division opponents.

And it was The Celts who started the stronger of the two sides, before succumbing to two second half strikes.

Donaldson went close after just seven minutes, and on 25 minutes he went even closer. Good buildup play from Donaldson and Youmbi before the former cut it back to the gaffer whose volley was blocked on the line. The following corner saw the ball comes off of the post before Tadcaster cleared.

A. minute later Joao Silva was next to go close for Farsley, but his curling effort from the edge of the area is a good height for Romero in the Tadcaster goal. The keeper had a great game for the hosts.

The hosts were slowly getting into the game as the half wore on, and Joe Crosby fired over after going through on goal. Tadcaster then saw a free header fly over the bar before Farsley keeper Allen denied Kieran Greenway following a weak kick out.

The Celts made three changes at the break, with Rudy Misambo, Chris Atkinson and Clayton Donaldson making way for Tom Allan, Conor Branson and Michael Coulson.

But it was Tadcaster who took the lead five minutes into the half, Oliver Norman slotting home after the Celts failed to clear their lines.

The visitors should have been level when Smith played Silva through but his lobbed effort cleared the bar. The Celts continued to knock at the door but Tadcaster defended well and in numbers.

On 79 minutes it was almost an own goal from Tadcaster as the ball ricocheted off two defender before clipping the crossbar and going out for a corner. Two minutes later Allan rose at the back post from a corner but his header was blocked.

Try as they might, Farsley just couldn’t find a way through Tadcaster’s valiant rearguard action.

Ben Atkinson was shoved in the box in what looked like a clear penalty – but the referee, who had an erratic evening, thought otherwise and booked the Farsley midfielder for his protests.

In the 92nd minute Coulson played Akky through on the right hand side of the box but his first-time effort was scuffed high and wide.

And in the 95th minute Tadcaster put the result beyond doubt by scoring a second on the break.

Farsley will be looking to return to winning ways in National League North on Saturday when they entertain Gloucester at The Citadel (3pm).

Line up