Men's First Team
FA Cup Tue 19 September Flamingo Land Stadium
Scarborough Athletic
  • Maloney (42', 81')
  • Wiles (72')
Farsley Celtic

Farsley Celtic bowed out of the FA Cup on Tuesday evening as the Celts succumbed to a 3-0 loss to Scarborough Athletic at the Flamingo Land Stadium

The short turnaround proved to be a burden for Farsley as the Celts were without key players such as Conor Branson, Rudy Misambo and player/manager Clayton Donaldson which led to a 3-0 loss on a windy night in North Yorkshire.

A brace from Lewis Maloney including a stunning free-kick as well as a goal from Alex Wiles were enough to seal Scarborough’s place in the next round, setting up an encounter with Darlington at Blackwell Meadows at the end of September.

Chances were few and far between for both sides in the first half as the strong winds proved to be a significant factor in the way the two teams played, with the first real opportunity coming after fifteen minutes when Seadogs defender Bailey Gooda fired wide on the half volley from the edge of the area.

Farsley nearly had a direct assist from the wind on the half-hour mark when Chris Atkinson’s in-swinging corner almost flew firectly into the back of the net before Joe Cracknell managed to craw the ball off of the line to keep the scores level.

The match would need either a moment of madness or brilliance to break the deadlock and it would turn out to be the latter when Scarborough opened the scoring through a superbly taken free-kick by Leiws Maloney which flew into the top corner, giving Zan-Luk Leban no chance as the Seadogs went 1-0 up.

Clayton Donaldson handed out several debuts to Emerging Talent Squad players on the night, including one to 16-year-old Ebenezer Ameho who did not look out of place all evening, and the number nine had a good chance of his own ten minutes into the half when his header almost looped over Cracknell.

As Donaldson mentioned in his post-match interview, the match was not a 3-0 game and Farsley almost had their equaliser with twenty minutes to play when Harry Sheridan’s header at the back post was slightly high and wide of Cracknell’s goal.

Unfortunately, that would be the end of Farsley’s hopes of getting back into the game when just four minutes later, Jordan Carroll was sent off for a second bookable offence and moments later, the Celts were 2-0 down when Alex Wiles struck to give Donaldson’s side a massive mountain to climb.

The lead was then extended with ten minutes left to play when Maloney secured his brace with a well-hit shot from outside of the area which evaded the diving Leban to make it 3-0.

The result means the FA Cup dream is over for another year for Farsley, with the Celts now turning their attention back towards the National League North as they welcome Banbury United to The Citadel on Saturday 23 September.

Scarborough Athetic: Cracknell, Brown, Qualter, Gooda, Thornton, Purver, Maloney, Green (Wiles 60), Colville, Coulson (Tear 73), Mulhern (Durose 81). Subs not used: Weledji, Jackson, Bancroft, Marshall.

Farsley Celtic: Leban, Carroll, Sheridan, C Atkinson, Allan, Smith, Leverett (Watson 64), B Atkinson, Silva (Morrisey 78), Stephenson (Priestley-Standing 86), E Ameho. Subs not used: Acquah, Donaldson, D Ameho, Anyaim-Osigwe.