Women's First Team
West Riding FA Women's County Cup Quarter-Final Sun 19 February The Citadel
Farsley Celtic
Ossett United Ladies

Farsley Celtic Women’s West Riding County Cup adventure came to an end at the hands of Ossett United, as the higher-ranked visitors ran out 5-0 winners at the Citadel.

Despite the five-division gap, there were large parts of the game where Farsley held their own and didn’t look out of place at all, missing a few big chances at key moments of the game.

The game started with the favourites taking a very early lead as just two minutes in, a well-worked one–two resulting in Emily Burgin coolly slotting home.

Farsley would respond well to falling behind, hitting the bar just before the 10 minutes mark after Ossett failed to deal with a corner. This gave belief to Farsley, who started to grow in confidence.

Both teams were then vying to take control of the game, but in the 29th minute, Ossett nearly doubled their lead from a half-volley on the edge of the box, and they would’ve been successful if not for a brilliant save from Leigh Bamford.

Towards the end of the first half, Farsley had a few opportunities to equalise, with the best falling to Demi Pringle, but she couldn’t convert after a perfectly weighted ball over the top by Shirley Murphy.

That miss was quickly punished by Ossett who did double their lead after a well-worked set piece resulted in Deb Hastings finishing from close range.

The second half started in a similar way to the first, with the visitors extending their lead inside four minutes.

A rash challenge in the box saw Ossett awarded a penalty, and Dani Sidebottom made no mistake from the spot.

That goal seemed to be the key moment in the game, with Ossett really getting on the front foot from that point, with Farsley struggling to gain a foothold in the half.

The Sheepicorns squandered a number of good opportunities to extend their lead, but they would do eventually, Deb Hastings rolling into an empty net, before Chelsea Schofield struck a sweet volley into the top corner.

The Celts did fashion a number of late openings of their own, but they failed to capitalise, and would lose for the first time this season, as Ossett advanced through to the semi-finals.